RedHat vs. the rest of Linux

Skygod gothhippy at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 10:24:01 CDT 2002

>     Supposedly I was informed a while back that SuSE is the number 1
> distro, followed by RH and down the chain somewhere at number 7 or so
> was Debian and Mandrake. No flames please as this is what I had heard
> from one of the admins whose boss was at a Linux conference.
> Professional is decent, but their basic is crappy. You cannot
> download their workstation edition which is the equivalent of the
basic
> edition of RH.

I've been keeping an eye on http://www.distrowatch.com for a little
while now.  It tracks versions of various packages as well as a number
of other things, so if you're curious about the differences between two
distributions, it's a good place to start.
Personally, I shied away from RH when I had trouble installing it on
some older hardware.  I picked up Mandrake, which is supposedly easier
to install.  Lately, however, I've been getting more and more annoyed
with the bloat.  Auto-installed packages make me nervous, too.  What
compiliation options are being used, and so on, isn't always clear.
I'm going to be trying Gentoo for a number of reasons, mainly that I
can make it as slim as I want it to be.

Just my $.02

Theo.