1650 memory on the cheap

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Jun 14 06:35:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Bryce C wrote:

>Does anyone have any recommendations for good, cheap memory for Dell's
>1650 servers? I've been using crucial.com but would like to find
>something cheaper.

You're paying for the "ECC registered" memory, which is not as popular,
therefore doesn't sell as much, etc...

>but is not "registered" memory (which crucial.com says
>the 1650 needs).

Registered and unbuffered can't be mixed. The difference is that
registered delays the output by one clock cycle (which is why they're
all CL=3) by buffering it through a register (hence "registered"). The
aim of this is to avoid problems with timing discrepancies between
different chips. You might get away with unbuffered.

You'll save a bit by buying non-parity (instead of ECC), but then you're
more exposed to memory failures.

According to Crucial, 1650 memory banks have to be loaded up in
identical pairs - I assume this is some clever bandwidth-boosting
feature.

Cheers,

Phil