Another question about Linux backups of NT

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 12 13:03:00 CDT 2002

At 16:10 12-6-2002 +0100, Basil Hussain wrote:
>I have a suggestion.
>
>You can tell NT to start/stop services via the NET START and NET STOP
>commands. If you can get the Linux server to remotely log in to the NT
>server with a command-line session, you can issue these commands to
>stop/start Exchange during your backup procedure.

You can install the Cygwin toolkit including an SSH server. Set up a public
key for one of the accounts on the server and you can do this remotely,
securly and without entering a password.

It works perfectly for us on a NT4 box.

>I suspect the built-in Telnet Server may do the trick for remote logins
>(haven't played with it before myself), but if not, or you need more
>security, I think you should be able to use OpenSSH for Windows:
>
>http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/

There even is a link out there with a guide and a permissions fix script
for this setup so you can use a public key. But I can't remember the URL.
I'm sure I have it somewhere ;)

Cheers

--
Seth