Adding Disks to a 4400

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Wed Jun 12 11:54:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

> > Our sales rep tells us we'll need another PERC3 card for this, but this
> > seems wrong to me... can't we just throw the disks on the backplane and
> > configure a new raid container using the new disks?
>
> Seems like your Sales Rep is below quota.  You don't need a new
> RAID Card.
> Just use the existing backplane and configure as appropriate.  I did the
> same thing, went from 3 drives to 6.

Unless... the 4400 could be specified in a similar way to the 2500, with a
choice of either one 6-disc backplane or two 3-disc backplanes. If the 4400
has the option for split backplanes (and you have such a server) I would
imagine you do actually need two RAID controllers, as you're dealing with
two SCSI channels connecting to the two backplanes. Unless you already have
a dual-channel RAID controller, of course... :-)

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com