Adding Disks to a 4400

James J Bruce brucej at musc.edu
Wed Jun 12 09:55:01 CDT 2002

> Our sales rep tells us we'll need another PERC3 card for this, but this
> seems wrong to me... can't we just throw the disks on the backplane and
> configure a new raid container using the new disks?

Seems like your Sales Rep is below quota.  You don't need a new RAID Card.
Just use the existing backplane and configure as appropriate.  I did the
same thing, went from 3 drives to 6.

> Also, (running RH 7.2) should I be able to use afacli to do this without
> downing the server? Or is there a boot/BIOS config in my future?

That's a good question.  I've never actually tried to do this without
downing the server.  I'd be interested in the results of the attempt
though.  However, I have a feeling you will need to reboot the server for
the RAID Bios to pick up the new drives, but then again, hardware is not
expertise.

=====
James J Bruce (brucej at musc.edu)
GCRC Informatics Manager
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC 29425  (843) 876-5101

There are two major products that have come out of The University of
California at Berkeley: LSD and BSD.  We don't believe this to be a
coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson