Adding Disks to a 4400

Nathan Vack njvack at lithium.hsl.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 12 09:49:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

We're intending to add another 3 disks (as a new RAID5 container) to our
PowerEdge 4400 (it currently already has 3).

Our sales rep tells us we'll need another PERC3 card for this, but this
seems wrong to me... can't we just throw the disks on the backplane and
configure a new raid container using the new disks?

Also, (running RH 7.2) should I be able to use afacli to do this without
downing the server? Or is there a boot/BIOS config in my future?

Thanks much!
-Nathan Vack
HSL Systems
UW Madison