Another question about Linux backups of NT

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Wed Jun 12 09:43:00 CDT 2002

Hi! All....

First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my first question about my
backup procedure that I'm trying to create.  I have one third of the process
worked out - copying NT data files to the Linux box.

Part three will be fixed when I get Amanda working - wish me luck :-)

Part two is now the major concern.  I have a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 server
that runs my companies e-mail.  To be able to back this machine up, I need
to stop the Exchange Services so that its e-mail database appears as a
normal files, once the files are copied from this machine, I'll need to
restart the services.

I know how to do this in Windows, but I don't know how to have a Linux
machine tell the NT box to stop/start a service.  The reason I want to do
this in Linux is I want the script to run on the Linux box.  I can (as an
alterative) have an NT box run the script (batch file) but since I'm heading
away from Windows, I'd prefer not to.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks,
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE