Poweredge missing /initrd, kernel panic on boot

Hubbard, David dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Jun 11 21:37:00 CDT 2002

Hmm, I've never seen an initrd directory, typically
there is just a /boot/initrd-2.4.9-31.img file of
some sort if running RedHat 7.2.  You could boot off
a RedHat 7.2 CD, or 7.3 CD, mount your drive, and
then just go to the /boot directory and do a
'mkinitrd -f initrd-2.4.x-x.img 2.4.x-x'
where x-x is the RedHat kernel version dash sub-revision
that you are running, 2.4.9-31 for example.  Make sure
the initrd image is the same name as what you have in
/etc/grub.conf, then reboot.

David