Per-process maximum memory utilization???

Ryan Go ryan at rentec.com
Tue Jun 11 21:34:00 CDT 2002

Hello,

We had those type of situations before also. We were not able to figure
out what went wrong but I assumed it's the vm in the kernel since after we
upgraded to 2.4.18 the problem disappeared (I read there was some vm
changes to the kernel on or after 2.4.10). We also applied the rmap
patch since kswapd often goes zombie after some time.

I would think it's the new kernel, the rmap patch or a combination of the
both. As long as it's not happening again, I am happy.

AS with regards to your question about limits, the "official" kernel can
only do 4GB RAM max. I am not familiar with redhat kernels or where they
come from but i know SGI has patches to address more, IIRC 64GB.

HTH,
---
Ryan Go
Renaissance Technologies Corp.