Problem on DAT ?

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 11 01:46:00 CDT 2002

At 08:36 11-6-2002 +1000, jason andrade wrote:
>on that note, how many people here actually update the firmware on (and
>does Dell recommend regular firmware updating as being proactive, or
>is it better to "don't fix what's not broken")
>

>         o the system bios
>           (i do this on our 2400/2450s)

Frequent, every new server I update the older servers (3-6 months)

>         o the system scsi controller (possible?)
>           (i haven't seen an update file for this)

Never

>         o the PERC onboard or card based RAID controllers
>           (i've had to do this as well)

Frequent, every new server I update the older servers (3-6 months)

>         o the tape drives (dat/dlt/lto)
>           (only just learned of this from pierre.. i will have to look
> into it)

Only when there are problems. The LTO drives were very new when we bought
them and they had some quirks.

>         o the disk drives
>           (i'd be really interested to know if people are doing this..)

If you happen to have the freak failures that these can cause (disks
dropping out of a raid set for no apparant reason) this is for you :)

These are rare but I have seen them most on raid controllers. Once on a
Perc2/Si and on a non-dell DAC960 PG. I have not encountered these with the
megaraids yet but it's possible.

The most simple failure is that the disk falls back to a lower bus speed.

Cheers

--
Seth