dma problems on PE350 John_L_Jones at
Mon Jun 10 11:01:01 CDT 2002

No, the intergrity of the hardware should still be good. In the past, it has
been a DMA issue with Linux.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Louwers [mailto:frank at]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 10:55 AM
To: John_L_Jones at
Cc: linux-poweredge at
Subject: Re: dma problems on PE350

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:52:44AM -0500, John_L_Jones at wrote:
> In the past it has been an issue with IDE CD-ROM drives.

hmm, the units have a cdrom, but it's been used only once (to install
the system).

> I wouldn't do commands remote other than the -d option. If you mistakenly
> set a wrong setting with hdparm,
> you may have a system lockup and have the drives unreadable.

*sigh* that's what i feared. I just had other plans for tonight :-(

But does that mean the disk is broken or going to die?

Vriendelijke groeten,
Frank Louwers

Openminds bvba
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium