dma problems on PE350

Frank Louwers frank at openminds.be
Mon Jun 10 10:44:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:39:36AM -0500, John_L_Jones at Dell.com wrote:
> Sounds like you're having problems with the DMA. Try the following:

is this a disk problem or an ide controller issue?

> Verify DMA is on by typing
> hdparm -d /dev/[drive] at a command prompt.
>
> To turn it off temporarily (it will be re-enabled upon reboot), type
> hdparm -d0 /dev/[drive] at a command prompt.

are these things that can be done remote? (The systems are 70 miles
away but we had a visit scheduled next week).

> To pass the ide=nodma option to the kernel at boot. To do this, open
> /boot/grub/grub.conf in a text editor, and add "ide=nodma" to the end of
> each line that begins with "kernel".
>
> These instructions are for a Red Hat system, so some variance may be needed
> for Debian. I am also assuming that this is a software RAID1 , correct?

yes, software raid...

Vriendelijke groeten,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium