Problem on DAT ?

Pierre POMES ppomes at reservit.com
Fri Jun 7 10:37:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

I was able to backup all my filesystems of my physical disk (between 2GB
and 3GB) of data using dump. I was able to tar all my physical disk and
to untar it. I run the diagnistic tools from Dell and everything seems
to be fine on my dat...

First question : It seems I only get write errors on the tape when
dumping data from a raid container .... Can it be RAID related ? SCSI
related ? The dat is on the internal controller of the PE2550, and the
RAID in on a Powervault attached to a PERC3 controller...

Second question : this question is linux only... I have some problem
with the non rewinding device. If I run :

mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
dump -0uf /dev/nst0 /boot
dump -0uf /dev/nst0 /tmp

And then :
mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
restore -i -f /dev/nst0   -> Ok, I can see the /boot top level
directories.

The next 'restore -i -f /dev/nst0' gives me the following error :

[rootusr at gemenos ~]# restore -i -f /dev/nst0
restore: Tape is not a dump tape

I am used to run usfdump/usfrestore on solaris by the same way and it
works fine. Am I wrong wih the above commands ? Perhaps I have to set
different parameter (density, block length, etc..) in my dump and
restore command ?

Here is the listing of my scsi devices and tape drive information :

[rootusr at gemenos ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: FUJITSU  Model: MAJ3091MC        Rev: 5509
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: 1x4 U2W SCSI BP  Rev: 1.30
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 06408-XXX Rev: 8130
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID1 34556R Rev: 1.57
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 05 Id: 15 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Dell     Model: 12 BAY U2W CU    Rev: 0209
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03

[rootusr at gemenos ~]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=1024, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x26 (DDS-4 or QIC-4GB).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Thanks again for your help.