Linux Newbie Backup Questions...

Hubbard, David dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Thu Jun 6 21:09:01 CDT 2002

From: Aly Dharshi [mailto:aly.dharshi at uleth.ca]
> Hubbard, David wrote:
>
> > If you're talking about Veritas NetBackup, any device
> > that has a drive and multiple tales is considered a
> > robot.
>
> 	You are quite correct. The U of L has 3 DLT drives
> connected to an NT/2000 box, they have had this in place
> for a while now, but I think that they should convert
> over to RH 7.3 running veritas, maybe more stable then
> NT/2000 in my opinion. Netbackup is the way to go in my
> opinion, its just a matter of deciding whether you have the
> mullah aka deniros for that Veritas product, if not then
> dump/restore or Amanda (better choice).

Actually, NetBackup won't run on 7.2 or 7.3, maybe even
7.1.  We still run 6.2 boxes because of that, it sucks.
I'm not sure when Veritas is going to fix that.

> > But... be careful, on linux, NetBackup only
> > supports 8mm and DLT robots, 4mm DAT is not usable
> > by NetBackup under linux.  I have talked to their
> > engineers and they have no plans of supporting that
> > robot type (TL4) at this time.
> >

> Even the latest versions ? I don't know what the U is
> running but I would think that 8mm and DLT's are the
> way to go anyway. I consider 4mm DAT ancient but again
> that is me.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Aly.

Yep, I've confirmed with them that 4.5 won't have
support for TL4 libraries on linux.  It really pisses
me off because they support that library type in every
other NetBackup server platform, even HP-UX and AIX.
I mean where are you more likely to see a small compact
4mm autoloader, a linux box or an AIX box?!?!  We run
a very large NetBackup install using an ADIC Scalar
1000 library of 8mm drives, but we have some remote
sites that have just one server, and a 4mm autoloader
would be perfect, much easier than having a secretary
or other person run in there to change a tape every
few days. :-)

David