Problem on DAT ?

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Jun 6 17:31:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Pierre POMES wrote:

> The tape drive is one year old, but I used it only four or five times,
> to backup small filesystems only.
>
> The commands I use are :
> mt -f /dev/st0 rewind

rewind the tape drive  - this is fine.

> dump -f /dev/st0 /dev/sdb5 (first filesystem ok)

start dumping this disk device using the rewind tape device.  when this finishes
the tape will rewind back to the start.

> dump -f /dev/nst0 /dev/sdb6 (second filesystem KO during backup, 8 GB

then use the no rewind tape device to start dumping the second filesystem which
will overwrite above.

i don't understand why you are following the above sequence of commands - am
i missing something.

some things to try

o dump under linux has not been very nice, particularly on open filesystems.
  have you tried dropping into single user mode and doing a dump ?

o try the following (/first and /second mean you don't have to dump devices, just
  put in the filesystem name from /etc/fstab or from mount)

  mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
  dump -0uf /dev/nst0 /firstfilesystem
  dump -0uf /dev/nst0 /secondfilesystem
  mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

other things to check.  what sort of dat drive is it ?  you have not specified
the size of your first filesystem.  also check that you have the appropriate tapes.

if it is a DDS-2, you get 4G of capacity using 120mm tapes, with 8G theoretically with
compression

if it is DDS-3, you get 12G - using DDS-3 tapes (12/24G)

if it is DDS-4, you get 20G - using DDS-4 tapes (20/40G)

-jason