Hyper threading on a Precision 530 MT

Thu Jun 6 16:34:00 CDT 2002

> Is hyper threading not supposed to work on the workstation's?

It's fairly easy to see if the CPU itself supports hyperthreading.  If so,
/proc/cpuinfo lists the set of flags for each processor, and included in
that list will be "ht".  The 2.4.9-21 and above kernels will certainly show
this if available.  Since you've got the 2.2GHz Xeon CPUs, I believe they

Then the BIOS needs to enable HT.  On many systems, it's default is off.
After power-on, go into BIOS Setup to enable HT.  That would certainly
explain what you're seeing.

Then, you already know about the acpismp=force trick to make the kernel
recognize it for those that don't do it automatically.

If that doesn't work, come on back and we'll try some more.

Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
Dell Linux Solutions www.dell.com/linux
Dell internal Linux lists @ http://insidelists.us.dell.com
Dell public Linux lists @ http://lists.us.dell.com
#1 US Linux Server provider for 2001 and Q1/2002! (IDC May 2002)