Hyper threading on a Precision 530 MT

Thu Jun 6 16:34:00 CDT 2002

> Is hyper threading not supposed to work on the workstation's?

It's fairly easy to see if the CPU itself supports hyperthreading.  If so,
/proc/cpuinfo lists the set of flags for each processor, and included in
that list will be "ht".  The 2.4.9-21 and above kernels will certainly show
this if available.  Since you've got the 2.2GHz Xeon CPUs, I believe they
should.

Then the BIOS needs to enable HT.  On many systems, it's default is off.
After power-on, go into BIOS Setup to enable HT.  That would certainly
explain what you're seeing.

Then, you already know about the acpismp=force trick to make the kernel
recognize it for those that don't do it automatically.

If that doesn't work, come on back and we'll try some more.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#1 US Linux Server provider for 2001 and Q1/2002! (IDC May 2002)