Linux Newbie Backup Questions...

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Thu Jun 6 13:21:01 CDT 2002

Hi All,

This may not be the best place for this question, but I've seen very good
results from the group, so I've decided to post my newbie question here.

I'm about to begin a Windows NT to Linux swap over in my network.  I've
decided to start by setting up my "Backup Server" first.  This machine is a
PowerEdge 2400 with a PowerVault 120T DDS-4 Autoloader attached to the
internal SCSI controller on the motherboard.

What I plan on doing is this:

Every night, I'll pull copies of "live" data from the remaining servers on
the network to the Backup Server's local drive arrays and use it as
"reserve" data available at a moment's notice.  The next morning, I'll use
dump/tar/Amanda (haven't decided yet) to place backup copies of the
"reserve" data to the tapes in the autoloader.

Since I'm new to Linux, I've got a lot of learning to do before I can
accomplish this.  So my question is:  Can the experienced administrators in
this group point me in the best direction to accomplish this process?  At
the same time, any help to avoid pitfalls (read "stupid mistakes") would be
nice too.  :-)

Thanks,
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager