Hyper threading on a Precision 530 MT

Marc Mondragon Marcmo at RitchieCapital.com
Thu Jun 6 09:16:00 CDT 2002

Hello-

I've been following the discussion about hyper threading and linux on Dell servers and I have a question.  I have a few Precision 530 MT workstations running RH 7.2, each with 2 2.2 MHz Xeon P-4's.  I've made a custom kernel using the smp kernel as a starting point.  The only change I've made is to change the CPU to a P4.  I've used the acpismp=force in grub.conf and the dmesg appears to show that it recognizes hyper threading.  But my top does not show 4 CPU's and dmesg also states that the existing CPU's(0/1) do not have any siblings, it also shows CPU(2/3) being disabled.  Is there something in the BIOS/motherboard of the PowerEdge Servers that enables the other CPU's.  Is hyper threading not supposed to work on the workstation's?

Thanks,

Marc Mondragon

Ritchie Capital Investments, Ltd.
210 E. State Street