pe 2650 and redhat 7.2 AS

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 5 05:54:01 CDT 2002

At 23:52 4-6-2002 -0700, Jeffrey Shih wrote:
>I currently installed RH linux 7.2 AS on a Dell 2650 with a 2 processor,
>6 gigs of ram config.  When I look at the dmesg, or top, it only
>displays 4 gigs of memory, but shows 4 processors!!  Does anyone have
>any idea why this is happening?

The PE 2650 has Intel XEON processors with hyperthreading. This means that
each processor acts as 2 logical processors and thus the OS sees 4
processors instead of 2.

The kernel you installed is a standard -i686-smp kernel. That one will
access upto 4GB of ram. You will need the -enterprise(7.2) or -bigmem(7.3)
kernel to access the whole 6GB.

Cheers

--
Seth