2650 PCI slots

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Jun 4 20:13:38 CDT 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 John_E_Fitzgerald at dell.com wrote:

>The 2650 and newer servers are now being equipped with PCI-X slots, which
>increase the PCI bus speed from a max of 66MHz to 100 and 133MHz depending
>on the implementation. The PowerEdge 1650 (1U) has an option whereby you can
>get either 2x64bit/66MHz slots (supports 3.3v/Universal only) or you can get
>1 64bit/66MHz and 1 32bit/33MHz (supports 5v) slot. This will most likely be
>the last server to support this, since most cards are now either 3.3v or
>Universal.

Unfortunately the cost of these Dialogic (telephony) cards far outweighs
the cost of the server - we're in a similar position where we have a few
cards in 5U servers. Although we'd like to use smaller servers, new
Dells will be out of the question without 5V full-length PCI card
support.

Out of interest, on the 1x33/1x66 adaptor for the PE1650, which is the
higher (full-length) slot? Are they both 5V, or just the 33MHz slot?

Cheers,

Phil