Matt_Domsch@dell.com: RE: RH7.3 and PE4600

Ken Sheppard ken.sheppard at pc-doctor.com
Tue Jun 4 13:19:00 CDT 2002

I am still looking for an answer to the question below. Any ideas?

Looking at /proc/cpu will show the ht flag which shows the CPU is
hyperthreading capable, but it could be disabled in the BIOS.

I also have sample code from Intel which counts physical processors.
Unfortunately it only works on Windows machines as it requires
CPU/process affinity to run assembly code on each "logical" cpu.  Linux
doesn't support CPU/process affinity.

Thanks,

Ken

>Is there a way to tell if a Xeon chip has hyperthreading enabled? For
>example, by looking at the "flags" line in /proc/cpuinfo?

>Thanks

>-roddy

> RH 7.3 installed fine, but for some reason is seeing *4*
> processors instead of 2.  Anyone know why this would be the case?

HyperThreaded processors.  They present extra logical processors which
can
do roughly 30% the work of normal processors, but they're "free" in the
sense that they use extra hardware logic that otherwise would be idle.

> Also, I had to disable the 2 on-board Adaptec SCSI controllers
> (all I'm using is the PERC RAID controller now anyway) because
> it would lock on boot at Loading aic7xxx module

Yes, a bug was introduced between the last beta and 7.3 gold CDs which
broke
the aic7xxx driver on the PE4600.  We'll post a driver disk to
support.dell.com soon as we've verified that it's fixed.

> Finally, I can't seem to get DSA or DOSA (whatever we're calling it
now)
to install
> under 2.4.18-3  (actually I just moved to 2.4.18-4 yesterday, as this
machine
> isn't in production yet, I can still "tinker")

The current DSA CDs don't know about 7.3 yet - the next version will.
You
can take the ks.cfg file from 7.2 and, with few modifications, make it
work
with 7.3.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#1 US Linux Server provider for 2001! (IDC Mar 2002)

# Ken Sheppard
# ken.sheppard at pc-doctor.com
# (530) 759-1607, fax (530) 759-1609
# PC-Doctor Inc., 1756 Picasso Ave, Suite C
# Davis, CA 95616 USA
# http://www.pc-doctor.com