grub, ide-scsi, tapedrive

Eric Reff eric at reff.net
Mon Jun 3 21:44:01 CDT 2002

I've been successfully using the ide-tape driver to read/write to a Seagate
STT20000A (an ide tape device) but I've noticed some errors in
/var/log/messages like:

Jun  2 12:59:18 ibase001 kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  0, key =
2, asc =  4, ascq =  2

There are a LOT of these errors when accessing the drive.  I've done some
practice restores and the backups I've made appear to be working.  I'm not a
fan of errors, even if they're benign, so I plan to switch to the scsi
driver as suggested.

In the example I've seen for doing this, the rewinding device is used.  I'll
only be accessing the drive with the non-rewinding device.  Should I make
adjustments to the example like so..

Passed to kernel with Grub:
/dev/nht0=ide-scsi

In rc.local:
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 stopoptions no-blklimits

Or should I use the rewinding device like the example does assuming that
both the rewinding and non-rewinding devices will be using the scsi driver.

I'd experiment with it myself but this server is already in production and
rebooting the thing till I get it right would not go over well.

Thanks,
Eric