IDE CDROM problems

James Bruce brucej at musc.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:35:01 CST 2002

Just a quick check with the group before I call tech support:

I have an IDE CDROM that seems to have been working fine but now doesn't
seem to hardly want to work at all.  I mounted a disc just fine earlier and
now it locks when I try to mount the same disc.  The log shows the
following over and over if I'm successful in actually mounting the CDROM
without a hung process:

Feb 20 14:07:46 delta-flyer kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
Feb 20 14:07:53 delta-flyer kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
.
.
.
Feb 20 14:10:57 delta-flyer kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34
Feb 20 14:10:58 delta-flyer kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Feb 20 14:10:58 delta-flyer kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00
(hdc), sector 772

If I'm not successful, I usually get a hung process that I can't kill no
matter what I try, except a reboot (there went my uptime).  Here's the
kernel recognizing the drive on boot up:

Feb 20 13:59:10 delta-flyer kernel: hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB
Cache, UDMA(33)

So....bad drive?  or bad sysadmin who can't seem to find the problem?  I'll
hit everyone up later as to why I can't seem to mount my other IDE drive
which is a CDBurner.  And yes, I have the SCSI emulation stuff compiled
into the kernel and set in lilo and it's recognized as a burnder during
boot up.  :-)

Thanks

James

=====
James J Bruce (brucej at musc.edu)
GCRC Informatics Manager
Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, SC 29425  (843) 876-5101

There are two major products that have come out of the University of
California at Berkeley: LSD and BSD.  We don't believe this to be a
coincidence.
-- Jeremy S. Anderson