Multiple Interfaces Issue---Resolved

Marco Obaid marco at muw.edu
Tue Dec 31 15:59:00 CST 2002

Hello all,

It finally worked with the following configuration:

/etc/sysconfig/network
**********************
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME='myhost'
GATEWAY=10.10.10.1

DEVICE='eth0'
BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST='10.10.10.255'
IPADDR='10.10.10.5'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='10.10.10.0'
ONBOOT='yes'
GATEWAY='10.10.10.1'
TYPE='Ethernet'

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
DEVICE='eth0:0'
BOOTPROTO='static'
BROADCAST='10.10.10.255'
IPADDR='10.10.10.6'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='10.10.10.0'
ONBOOT='yes'
GATEWAY='10.10.10.1'
TYPE='Ethernet'

I had to disable all the NICs except for the embedded 10/100 card.
Created ifcfg-eth0 and copied it into ifcfg-eth0:0 and edited it appropriately.

I still don't know why I cannot use two NIC simultaneously, but I am happy for
now since I did not get much rest since last night. The reason that I want to
use another interface is because one interface will handle proxy services for
the entire campus and the other will handle traffic to an online software. I
have similar setup for my PowerEdge 6400, which has 6 different IP addreses but
I did not run into any trouble when I set it up. The only difference between
the two servers, besides hardware, is the Redhat version. The PowerEdge 6400 is
running Redhat 7.1 and the PowerEdge 4600 is running Redhat 7.3.

Thanks to all of you and happy new year
Marco

    _/     _/  _/    _/  _/     _/ | Marco Obaid
   _/_/ _/_/  _/    _/  _/     _/  | Network Administrator
  _/  _/ _/  _/    _/  _/  _/ _/   | McDevitt Hall
_/     _/   _/_/_/   _/     _/     | Columbus MS 39701
M I S S I S S I P P I  U N I V E R S I T Y  F O R  W O M E N