Multiple Interfaces Issue

Gary Evesson gevesson at decentrix.com
Tue Dec 31 12:28:01 CST 2002

> I do have all the errata updates installed. The systems is up-to-date.
> If the problem is with the Redhat network control scripts, what is the
remedy?

> As far as the suggestion to do:
> ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.5
> ifconfig eth1 10.10.10.6
> route add default gw 10.10.10.1
>
> I tried it and no luck ...

I'm really not sure that it is legal to have 2 NICs in the same subnet,
although I know that it does work in some circumstances. If you need the
machine to respond to both IP addresses, then use 1 NIC and an alias e.g.:

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth1 put:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.10.10.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.10.10.1

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth1:0 put:

DEVICE=eth1:0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.10.10.6
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.10.10.1

This will get the machine to respond to both IP addresses.

- Gary