Multiple Interfaces Issue

Marco Obaid marco at muw.edu
Tue Dec 31 11:20:00 CST 2002

I do have all the errata updates installed. The systems is up-to-date.
If the problem is with the Redhat network control scripts, what is the remedy?

As far as the suggestion to do:
ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.5
ifconfig eth1 10.10.10.6
route add default gw 10.10.10.1

I tried it and no luck ...

>Is it possible that you have the reverse path filter (used to protect
>against spoofing) switched on? This might cause "weird" behaviour on
>multihomed crossing networks.

I am not sure how to turn that on/off ... I did not do anything special when I
installed this system. I followed the Server Assistant CD instructions.
Installed WebCT software on it and that's all. Since the initial install, I
have been keeping the system up-to-date using up2date tool. Ofcourse, I am not
sure if the interfaces issue was there since the initial install. The server
has been running on one interface for almost 4 months now. There is a need now
to add an additional task to this server which requires a new IP address and
this  how it all started.

By the way, out of desperation I installed Redhat 7.3 to a spare PC, which has
2 3Com905B NICs. I used the same Redhat Linux media shipped with my PowerEdge
server. To my surprise, the same issue exists. I numbered one NIC 192.168.0.1
and the other 192.168.0.5. Only 192.168.0.1 is pingable from the outside, which
is eth0.

This is really bizzar ...

Thank you,
Marco

    _/     _/  _/    _/  _/     _/ | Marco Obaid
   _/_/ _/_/  _/    _/  _/     _/  | Network Administrator
  _/  _/ _/  _/    _/  _/  _/ _/   | McDevitt Hall
_/     _/   _/_/_/   _/     _/     | Columbus MS 39701
M I S S I S S I P P I  U N I V E R S I T Y  F O R  W O M E N