Changing Raid Type w/o Reinstalling

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Dec 31 08:37:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, at 8:56am, seppy at chartermi.net wrote:
> Is it possible to change from Raid5 to Raid0 without necessarily
> reinstalling the OS.

  What RAID controller?

  The controllers based on the AMI/LSI MegaRAID designs can do this.  From
the BIOS or the "megamgr" utility, select the LV, and then choose
"Reconfigure".

  For controllers based on the Adaptec chipsets, I am not so sure.  You
might be able to use the "afacli" utility and the "container reconfigure"
command, but you would have to figure out the syntax, which apparently
nobody at Dell actually understands.  (I just got through a lousy situation
involving a PERC 3/Di, which was further complicated by the fact that nobody
in Dell phone support apparently knew how to work the thing.  I am in the
process of writing a nastygram to Customer Care about it right now.
Grrrrr.  I had better things to do with my weekend then rebuild a server.)

  As always, have multiple backups of everything (and test them!) before
trying this sort of thing.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>