kernel hanging problem - nfs?...

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Dec 26 19:36:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Wesley T. Perdue wrote:

> >are you using rsize=1024,wsize=1024 ?
>
> No, 8192.  Here is a client fstab entry for the server:
> nfsserver:/home  /home  nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,hard,retry=1000000

then please tell me you are using gigabit ethernet in all your clients and
servers and you have switches that are known to support jumbo frames which
is actually turned on.

otherwise, you are stuffed if you try and use 8K nfs packets on linux under
UDP.  i won't go into a huge amount of details as that'd make me want to
bang my head against the wall some more to relive the pain.

> >nfsserver:/share /localmount nfs ro,rsize=1024,nolock,hard,bg,intr,retrans=8,nfsvers=3,timeo=10 0 0
> >
> >i use something like the above (add wsize and remove ro, since you'll want write access)
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I'll look into the unique options you specify.

best of luck.  also, you will want to remove "nolock".  i don't use any nfs locking because
i only do read only nfs exports.

regards,

-jason