PE2600 & MegaServ

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Thu Dec 26 10:12:01 CST 2002

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a nice Holiday!

Back to the salt mines for me....

I'm doing some testing with RedHat 7.2  (kernel 2.4.9-13 (hold your
comments) with megaraid driver version 1.18c) on a PowerEdge 2600.   I am
using the Megamon-3.6-0 package to monitor the RAID controller status.
Events are logged to /var/log/megaserv.log.  I'm writing a script to
monitor log data and page technical support of a problem when the proper
event is logged.  I have a problem:

The 'MegaServ' daemon stops running at random times.  It just quits.  No
error message that I can find.  Have any of you seen this behavior?  Is the
MegaServ daemon not reliable for some reason?  I think I am running the
latest version, but I could be wrong.  Any ideas?  Here is how I start it
(taken from the 'raidmon' startup script):

        echo -n 'Starting RAID Monitor:'
        daemon MegaCtrl -start
        # Disable email to root user
        MegaCtrl -disMail
        # Disable consistency check
        MegaCtrl -disChkCon
        # Enable SMART drive checking
        MegaCtrl -SMART3600

I am also noticing messages in the /var/log/megaserv.log that look like
this:

[12/24/2002 (16:10:37)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging IN PROGRESS.
[12/24/2002 (16:12:54)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging FAILED.
[12/24/2002 (16:13:23)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging IN PROGRESS.
[12/24/2002 (16:30:36)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging FAILED.
[12/24/2002 (16:54:55)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging IN PROGRESS.
[12/24/2002 (17:02:07)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging IN PROGRESS.
[12/24/2002 (17:50:01)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging FAILED.
[12/24/2002 (18:50:01)]:
        Adapter 0:  Battery Fast Charging FAILED.

These messages go on for hours (or at least until the MegaServ daemon
dies).   The system is only a month or two old, so I'd be surprised if the
Perc4/Di battery is dead already.    Any ideas why the charge would fail?
Should I do anything about it?   Can I do anything about it?   Is it
normal?

[footnote: Please do not tell me that I should upgrade my kernel.   I
cannot, due to certain driver restrictions.]

Thanks for your help,
- Brian