NTP Startup on RH8 on PE500SC

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Wed Dec 25 14:04:00 CST 2002

On 25 Dec 2002, Ben Russo wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 13:37, JP Vossen wrote:
> > On 23 Dec 2002, Ben Russo wrote:
> >
> > The system clock goes wildly WRONG to the point where it's off by more than
> > 1000 seconds and NTP gives up and dies.

> Well, I have a wild stab in the dark?!?
> But since nobody else seems to have the answer, then why not.
> Maybe the backup job is syncing the clock with the backup server?
> Have you checked the date/time on the backup server?
> Maybe the backup server needs to be running ntpd?

There is only 1 server.  The backup job is running locally.

> Also, maybe try running ntpd in the foreground with nohup and debug
> turned on and redirecting to a log file.  Then when it dies you might
> get some more info?

That's what I was *trying* to do with the -d, but the RedHat init script seems
to not support that.  When I have a moment I will do something manual as you
suggest.

Thanks,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."