NTP Startup on RH8 on PE500SC

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Mon Dec 23 12:39:00 CST 2002

On 23 Dec 2002, Ben Russo wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 16:02, JP Vossen wrote:
>

> > The reason I'm doing this is:
> >
> > My clock seems to go nuts on Monday AM when on backup runs.  I was hoping to
> > get more NTP log detail to see if that helps.  I've also tried running
> > "/sbin/hwclock -w" hourly, as a very long shot, to see if that would help.
> > It doesn't seem to have.
>
> Can you explain what you mean when you say that the "clock seems to go
> nuts"?

The system clock goes wildly WRONG to the point where it's off by more than
1000 seconds and NTP gives up and dies.

> Give an example of the log messages or the output of commands that you
> see?

I think There are other examples (not from me) in the list archives, but:

/var/log# zgrep sanity messages*
messages:Dec 23 06:59:10 drake ntpd[566]: time correction of 2041 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.
messages.1:Dec 16 06:36:40 drake ntpd[19639]: time correction of 1036 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.
messages.2:Dec  9 06:39:07 drake ntpd[26654]: time correction of 1048 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.
messages.3:Dec  2 06:33:47 drake ntpd[16822]: time correction of 1012 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.
messages.4:Nov 25 08:09:48 drake ntpd[19742]: time correction of 1868 seconds exceeds sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.

Not that I can trust the date/time of the logs, but this *seems* to happen
every Monday morning during my backup job.  That's the only time it happens,
and that's the only time the backup job runs.

The time is now off on that server by > 30 minutes (well 2041 seconds,
actually):
	Server:	Mon Dec 23 12:56:29 EST 2002
	Real:	Mon Dec 23 13:30:30 EST 2002

NOTE, I *am* running the latest stock RedHat errata kernel now: 2.4.18-19.8.0.

This is really bugging the heck out of me, any thoughts are appreaciated!
JP

PS--After upgrading the kernel, I forgot to remove the '-d' from NTPD
$OPTIONS.  It hung the server reboot(!), and I had to go in with a Rescue disk
to remove the option.  That seems kind of BAD to me... :-(
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."