NTP Startup on RH8 on PE500SC

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sun Dec 22 17:37:01 CST 2002

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, JP Vossen wrote:

>In an effort to get more information about the various clock problems that
>have been reported to this list, I edited my /etc/sysconfig/ntpd and added
>"-d".  Now, '/etc/init.d/ntpd start' hangs at "Starting ntpd:" -- it never
>prints the [OK] or [Failed] part of the end of the line.
[snip]
>Anyone have any ideas why it hangs?

It hasn't hung; it's a Feature. If you use either the debug (-d, -D)
or nofork (-n) options, the ntpd process doesn't fork and quit (as
daemons usually do).

The startup script doesn't expect this, and sits there waiting for ntpd
to finish.

You might get the desired effect by replacing
        daemon ntpd $OPTIONS
with
	ntpd $OPTIONS > /tmp/ntp.log 2>&1 &
(untested)