NTP Startup on RH8 on PE500SC

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Sun Dec 22 15:04:00 CST 2002

In an effort to get more information about the various clock problems that
have been reported to this list, I edited my /etc/sysconfig/ntpd and added
"-d".  Now, '/etc/init.d/ntpd start' hangs at "Starting ntpd:" -- it never
prints the [OK] or [Failed] part of the end of the line.  Removing the "-d"
fixes that problem.

If I CRTL-C the init script (while "hung" as above), NTPD exists on a signal
2.

Anyone have any ideas why it hangs?

The reason I'm doing this is:

My clock seems to go nuts on Monday AM when on backup runs.  I was hoping to
get more NTP log detail to see if that helps.  I've also tried running
"/sbin/hwclock -w" hourly, as a very long shot, to see if that would help.
It doesn't seem to have.

The fact that running a simple backup (to an OnStream drive, using the OSST
driver) can cause the system time to flake out is is VERY annoying!  This
never used to happen on my old junky server.  Building a new server was
supposed to *improve* things, not the other way around.  However, I was not
running RedHat 8 on the old server, so...  But hell, if I wanted stuff to
break for no reason, I'd be running a Windows server, wouldn't I?

I know I can kludge around this by writing some kind of watchdog script to
re-run ntp when it dies, but there are issues with that.

FYI, I am running the 2.4.18-17.8.0 kernel at the moment, but will upgrade to
the latest errata later today (probably).  All other applicable errata are
installed (via autoupdate.pl, I don't like RHN).

I'm kind of anal about having the correct time, so this makes me really
grumpy.  Any thoughts are appreciated,

Happy holidays,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."