Linux crashing on PE 2650

Jacek Radajewski jacek at usq.edu.au
Sat Dec 21 01:28:00 CST 2002

Hi All,

We just purchased another lot of Linux servers from DELL and for the first time we are having serious problems.  I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 shipped with the boxes and upgraded all packages, including the kernel to ver. 2.4.18-18.7.  Yesterday one of the boxes crashed (hung).  No response from keyboard, mouse or network (ping).  This morning I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18-19.7 on another box (also PE 2650) and it just crashed locking the screen!  I've never seen a Linux box die quietly without a reason.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Regards.

Jacek