change SCSI id's of drive in peripheral bay?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Dec 20 16:08:00 CST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, at 3:15pm, alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu wrote:
> i do have a hot swap cage.

  Okay, that makes things difficult.  Dell's hotswap cages are hardwired to
start with SCSI ID zero.  That will, as you observe, cause a conflict with
the other hotswap cage.  Also, the two-drive cage's backplane cannot be
split, so both drives would have to be on one channel.

> i thought a peripheral bay with drives had to be a hot swap cage.

  It does if you order it from Dell.  :-)

  You have a couple of options:

  You can use three channels on your four channel controller.  One for the
peripheral bay cage, and two for the split main cage.

  You can replace the Dell peripheral bay cage with a third-party cage that
*does* allow you to set the SCSI IDs.  One brand I've used and liked is
Cremax (http://www.cremax.com.tw/prod-sca.htm).  YMMV.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>