PowerEdge 2450

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Fri Dec 20 15:16:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Cockcroft, Philip        [CCS] wrote:

> Running RedHat 6.2 and The kernel is 2.2.14-6.1.1smp
> It crashed and now I get a Li code when it tries to boot.

That's interesting.  As noted by other replies, this is usually a disk
geometry thing.  But if the server WAS running then was rebooted and can't
boot now, what changed?

Well, the disk could be corrupt, in which case you're in trouble.

The BIOS could have lost it's mind and changed settings, thus confusing
things.

The server could have been originally booted by a boot diskette, in which case
Lilo was not an issue.

And there are probably more things I'm missing.  Since you note you inherited
the machine, finding the answer might be a challenge...

In any case, a Google seach for "lilo hangs LI" will return about 3K hits,
which will hopefully let you fit it.

> I've been through all the documentation and disks and low and behold no
> emergency rescue disk.
>
> So the request is, does someone know where I can get such a disk ?  I've
> tried ringing Dell support and they don't have one and suggested asking
> here.

Other replies have noted the "linux rescue" boot from the RedHat install CD.
I have saved myself several times with that, but I don't remember if it's as
old as RH6.2.  I *think* it is.  But there is another alternative.  The RedHat
Rescue is preferred, as it will automatically try to find and mount the
system.  But worst case, try Tom's Root/Boot Diskette:
	http://www.toms.net/rb/

Good luck!
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."