change SCSI id's of drive in peripheral bay?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Dec 20 12:43:00 CST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, at 12:00pm, alazarev at hera.itg.uiuc.edu wrote:
> In order to do this I have to be able to change the SCSI ID of one drive
> in the peripheral bay or in the backplane.

  No, you need to split the backplane(s).  As long as the drives are on
different SCSI channels, they can have the same SCSI ID.  What you are
really after is splitting the backplane, such that not all the drives on the
backplane are on the same SCSI channel.  Yes?

  The main backplane will split automatically if you connect SCSI cables to
both connectors.

  Do you have one of Dell's optional hotswap cages in the peripheral bay?
If so, I don't think that can offer a split backplane.  Although I could be
wrong, since I've never actually used one.  :-)

  If the drives are just hard-mounted and connected directly to the SCSI
cabling, you just need to re-route the SCSI cables.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>