FW: RedHat errata policy updates and product end of life

Fri Dec 20 07:53:01 CST 2002

> These strike me as rather short; less than 2 year upgrade
> cycle

The Advanced Server product line has a supported lifetime of at least 3
years.  It is scheduled for a new release every 12-18 months to reduce the
churn - our Enterprise customers really want this, as do the ISVs who write
software that work on top of it.  There's a plan for scheduled 'updates' to
happen to support new hardware between major releases.  For maximum
stability, AS will be the key.  The "Professional" or "Consumer" class OS
releases (such as RHL8.0)  will continue to be released as they have been
every ~5-6 months, and be inexpensive/free, but Red Hat has clearly
decreased available support for them.

I'm glad to see a well-documented end-of-life plan for both the Professional
and AS releases, especially that they'll continue to support the 7.1 and
above releases through all of next year.  Previously when a new major
release came out (say, 8.0), support was only maintained for the last minor
release of the previous series, back 2-3 years (thus, 7.3 and perhaps 6.2,
all else being dropped).  A clear support policy helps guide product
transitions.  If you desire longer deployment cycles as many customers do,
then we'll encourage the use of Advanced Server.

(Need I point out the amazing churn that the Linux dev team goes through to
support a new OS every 6 months on our 30+ servers and 6-8 workstations?
Expanding these releases cycles helps the hardware vendors too. :-)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch