Problems with RH8 and Built in Broadcom Gb Nics

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Thu Dec 19 09:40:00 CST 2002

> Has anyone else run into the problem of trying to get the Broadcom
> Gigabit Copper Nics on the 2650 to work under Red Hat 8? If so how did
> you resolve it?

Support for these NICs is built-in to the 2.4.18-14 kernel that came with
Red Hat Linux 8.0.  It should have loaded the tg3 driver for you.  Please
note, after upgrading to kernel 2.4.18-17* or -18*, the tg3 driver there
has a bug, it's recommended for now to switch from tg3 to bcm5700 in your
/etc/modules.conf file; the next Red Hat erratum kernel will fix this.

> I have tried the rpm from ftp1.us.dell.com
> <ftp://ftp1.us.dell.com/>  for them for the Valhalla (RH7.3) release and
> it didn't help.

These aren't necessary for 8.0.

Thanks,
Matt