Why does Dell continue to use Broadcom?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Dec 19 09:18:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, at 9:00am, brentd at cicada-semi.com wrote:
> ... thier primary market is Windows, maybe that is where they
> are working better.

  I think it has more to do with that than anything else.  Broadcom is
fairly unfriendly to Linux developers; getting specs to write Open Source
drivers is a major hassle, if not impossible (or so I've read).  In the
Microsoft world, drivers are never Open Source anyway, so nobody notices.

  Note that this is based on what I found about Broadcom's practices in the
past; they have become more Linux-friendly for their more recent products.
I wouldn't know -- their past attitude pretty much turned me off from
Broadcom permanently.  There's a lesson there, if anyone cares.  :)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>