lilo Debian on DELL Poweredge 1400 sc

Victor OYETOLA ola at borgou.net
Wed Dec 18 11:19:01 CST 2002

Hi  James

>Victor,
>
>Before I being, I'm going assume that you have never installed Debian on
>a PowerEdge before.  Don't take it personally.  :-)

You are right but. I need to do that.

>You can download a set of floppies that will contain the necessary
>drivers for the your PERC card.  Pick an appropriate mirror for your
>location:
>
>http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>
>Then find the following folder:
>
>dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44
>
>You will find a few .bin files.  Check the kernel-config file for your
>hardware.  Specifically, you are looking for one/both of the following:
>
>CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID=y
>CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID=y

I tried all  this yet and only the following line helped me after 2 days
of searches

"Read the Woody errata at  http://www.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/ <http://www.debian.org/%7Eblade/install/preload/>."

 The problem now is not how to begin the installation. It seems that the
boot partition is after  the 1023rd  cylinder of the disk ( that's wrong
:  the boot partition is the 2nd one, just 10Mo, after the Dell
Utilities' partition ) But I know that the disk /dev/sda is  a logical
one because of the raid: RAID1

>I located the AACRAID in the compact folder.  It all depends on your
>RAID card.
>
>When installing debian, and it comes time to do the kernel and modules,
>be sure to pick the floppy.  You want that kernel so that your system
>will reboot.
>
>You can use a CD to install the rest, or do as I did and install from
>the Internet (we have a local mirror for debian).

Let me tried it.  I 'm making debian  mirror but  my Internet connexion
is not good. So it comes slowly now I use a CD to install Debian

>I've put together a small tutorial that I have yet to finish at:
>
>http://itc.musc.edu/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Linux/DebianPowerEdge
>
>I'm sure it's somewhat out of date now, but the general idea is there.
>Glad to see another user who likes Debian on this list.  Good Luck!
>
>James

I'll take a look

Victor