hyperthreading Redhat 7.2

Jeff Parker parkerjeff at spcollege.edu
Tue Dec 17 15:09:01 CST 2002

Ben,
Don't quote me on this, but hyperthreading became supported in Redhat
7.3's errata kernel not 7.2's.

This being said...
Even if the OS does not support hyperthreading it should see the logical
processor as a physical processor and report 2X the number of physical
processors (I know this to be true in Windows OS's).

Jeff
Jeffrey J. Parker
Sr. Network Design & Security Engineer
St. Petersburg College, Seminole Campus
9200 113th Street, North
Seminole, Florida 33772
Phone: 727.394.6036
Fax:   727.394.6264

 You wrote;
This has to do with HyperThreading and having Virtual CPU's
turned on in the BIOS.

I have a similar question...  If I am running RedHat 7.2 with the latest
kernel (should be the same as 7.3) and I have
Virtual CPU's turned on in the BIOS, why *don't* I see 4 CPUs?

I thought HyperThreading support in the Redhat kernels was turned on by
default?

-Ben.