max PERC3/QC performance?

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Dec 17 14:29:00 CST 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 12:57 pm, you wrote:
> > Are you aware of some of the differences between the Linux and Windows
> > drivers?  (ie, can you tell me issues A and B can be
> > addressed in 2.4.21
> > and may improve it by X%, issue C has been addressed in 2.5.x and may
> > help Y%, issue D may not be addressable because of Z but could help by
> > as much as W%, etc?)
>
> I've never seen the internals of the Windows driver, I'm at a loss there.
> There's global block layer work happening in 2.5 that should help, though
> right now performance has only decreased, regardless of which megaraid
> driver (1.18 vs 2.00.2) is there. :-(
>
> We don't have any ballparks as to how much anything will help right now.
>

> > Is there some page where ppl have posted benchmark results
> > for these cards
> > so I could compare and see if I'm at least in the right
> > ballpark?  I'd like
> > to know what some of the actual practical limits are to this
> > card to test
> > my configuration--make sure I'm doing all I possibly can.

> (subscribe at http://lists.us.dell.com).  Also, Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com
> (subscribe at same place) discusses this regularly too.  Basically, we know
> it's not good, and we're mostly counting on LSI to figure out how to fix it.
> Any help you can provide would be great.  The LSI folks are all subscribed
> to linux-megaraid-devel.

I'm already on the first list, but didn't know about the second.  I'm here
and can do testing as needed.  I have the following cards:

MegaRAID Express 200     (466)  64MB      (ADAC--Gateway rebrand)
MegaRAID Elite 1500      (467)  64MB, BBU (Perc2/DC)
MegaRAID Enterprise 1600 (471) 128MB, BBU (Perc3/QC)

The 471 is in a system I will be using hopefully soon, the other two have
been shelved for now.

I've never done any kernel or driver coding, but I'm willing to take a stab
at learning some if it would be of help at all.

Is there any possibility of opening up the firmware code?  I'd be interested
in digging into the i960 and seeing if there are any optimizations that could
still be done in the firmware (I'd hope that it's been squeezed pretty hard
already, but you never know what an extra pair of eyes can find).

Nick