PowerEdge 600SC and Modem broadcom

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Dec 13 20:36:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, at 1:48pm, francisco.lucio at focusonservices.com wrote:
> We found that the driver that Dell is package contains the BCM V.92 56K
> Modem module compiled for kernel versions 2.4.9-e.3 2.4.9-e.3smp
> 2.4.9-e.3enterprise 2.4.9-e.3summit.

  You will need to recompile the kernel module containing the modem's device
driver against the kernel you are running.  In general, kernel modules are
specific to the particular kernel and kernel configuration they were built
against.

  I really don't like Broadcom modems.  They are software-driven,
controller-less modems, which are a dumb idea to begin with.  They have a
reputation for poor performance.  And their support sucks.  Broadcom won't
even admin they build the things (go ahead and try to find a reference to
modems on the Broadcom website).  Their Linux device driver is really little
more than shim which lets a proprietary, binary-only module load.  That
makes support under Linux a rather ugly proposition.  If the kernel team
sees you have such a module loaded, they won't even accept a bug report --
and for good reason.  Who knows what that binary module might be messing
with in the kernel?

  For servers, I recommend good old fashioned external RS-232 modems.  You
eliminate all software compatibility concerns.  The indicator lights can be
an invaluable diagnostic aid.  You can add/remove/change/reset them without
opening or restarting the machine.  And they work with *anything*, from a
Palm Pilot to an IBM mainframe.

  IMNSHO.  YMMV.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>