PowerEdge 600SC and Modem broadcom

Vergoz Michael (SYSDOOR) mvergoz at sysdoor.Com
Fri Dec 13 15:39:00 CST 2002

  Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 8:48 PM
  Subject: PowerEdge 600SC and Modem broadcom

  Hi

  I am  Dell service Provider in Mexico. We are on a bid opportunity to sell 320 Poweredge servers with REDHAT 7.3. But we found a little problem whit the modem (Broadcom V92) that we are proposing.

  The modem driver works fine with RedHat 7.3   kernel 2.4.18-3 But, We updated the kernel to 2.4.18-14 and the MODEM disappears.

  > First one, compile the newest kernel (2.4.20)

  We try installing again the driver modem and the RPM finishes with out error, but the link to /dev/modem [...]

  Perhaps you have to type : cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV to rebuild every i/o driver.

  > After that, if it don't work, try to find a major number of the driver and make the /dev by yourself with the command mknod (man mknod)

  does not point to any device. We found that the driver that Dell is package contains the BCM V.92 56K Modem module compiled for kernel versions 2.4.9-e.3 2.4.9-e.3smp 2.4.9-e.3enterprise 2.4.9-e.3summit.

  Do we need to compile again the driver with the new libraries of the new kernel?

  > Sure... in every situation.

  This is a very urgent issue to us, because we are the best price against IBM.

  > haha :-P

  Regards

  Francisco Lucio

Best regards,