PowerEdge 600SC and Modem broadcom

Francisco Lucio francisco.lucio at focusonservices.com
Fri Dec 13 13:51:01 CST 2002

Hi

I am  Dell service Provider in Mexico. We are on a bid opportunity to
sell 320 Poweredge servers with REDHAT 7.3. But we found a little
problem whit the modem (Broadcom V92) that we are proposing. The modem
driver works fine with RedHat 7.3   kernel 2.4.18-3 But, We updated the
kernel to 2.4.18-14 and the MODEM disappears. We try installing again
the driver modem and the RPM finishes with out error, but the link to
/dev/modem does not point to any device. We found that the driver that
Dell is package contains the BCM V.92 56K Modem module compiled for
kernel versions 2.4.9-e.3 2.4.9-e.3smp 2.4.9-e.3enterprise
2.4.9-e.3summit.

Do we need to compile again the driver with the new libraries of the new
kernel?

This is a very urgent issue to us, because we are the best price against
IBM.

Regards

Francisco Lucio