Dell PowerEdge Web Server Source Code

Brent_Schroeder@Dell.com Brent_Schroeder at Dell.com
Fri Dec 13 07:31:00 CST 2002

We have received several inquiries regarding availability of the open source
code used in the Dell PowerEdge Web Server.  An oversight in original
version of the "Dell PowerEdge Web Server Version 3.1 Powered by Red Hat
Linux Information Update P/N 3U236 Rev. A01" document resulted in the
omission of the instructions for acquiring the source.
Dell periodically updates our documentation and makes it available to our
existing customers by posting it to the Dell support website.  Please note
that since the time of the original release, the Information Update (P/N
3U236) has been revised and is available for download from:
<<<<http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/software/pelinux/3.1/en/index.htm>>>>.
This particular revision contains additional text which describes our open
source use in detail and provides the specific SKU to order the code for the
Dell PowerEdge Web Server.  We apologize for any inconvenience encountered
in attempting to obtain information regarding this code and hope that the
revised Information Update answers any questions you may have.
If you haven't already, we encourage you to periodically check the Update
feature in the Dell PowerEdge Web Server's online Admin Tool.  There should
be an update available to you which loads a readme file containing the text
below on the root directory of your server:

The software contained in this Dell PowerEdge Web Server is an  aggregate of
third party programs as well as Dell programs.  Use of the software is
subject to designated license terms. All Software that is designated as
"under the terms of the GNU GPL" may be copied, distributed and/or modified
in accordance with the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public
License, Version 2, June 1991.

All software that is designated as "under the terms of the GNULGPL" (or
"Lesser GPL") may be copied, distributed and/or modified in accordance with
the terms and conditions of the GNU Lesser General Public License, Version
2.1, February 1999. Under these GNU licenses, you are also entitled to
obtain the corresponding source files by contacting Dell at 1-800-WWW-DELL.
Please refer to SKU 420-1633 when making such request. There may be a
nominal fee charged to you for the physical act of transferring a copy.

We also encourage you to utilize the DellTalk forums as a source of valuable
information.  A quick search of past messages will provide a similar open
source reference.

For our new and returning customers, our Web Server product page
(<<http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_002_products.htm>>) also
contains this text.

Finally, the Knowledge Base article "How do I obtain open source code for
Dell PowerEdge Web Servers" can be found on Dell's Support web site by
searching for the keywords "web server open source".

We hope that your questions regarding open source code in your Web Server
are satisfied through one of these sources.

Sincerely,
Brent Schroeder
Director, Software Development
Enterprise Systems Group