Clock Problems

Dave Johnson dave at wangtrading.com
Tue Dec 10 14:33:00 CST 2002

Ron--

Assuming it's a Linux laptop, all you need is a /etc/ntp.conf
with the following entries (its good to have at least 2 clock
sources):
cat << __EOF__ >> /etc/ntp.conf
server 132.163.4.104
server 128.105.37.11
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
__EOF__

Servers listed above taken from:
stratum-1
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1.html
stratum-2
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.html

-----
The two biggest things are having the driftfile
and 2 or more ntp sources.

ntpd may not change your clock if its beyond a
certain threshold.  You may want to do an ntpdate
with a timesource and do a `hwclock -w` then start
ntpd.  I think ntpd -q will do something similar.

Not sure if this helps... ?

Dave Johnson
dave at wangtrading.com