BCOM modem driver and RH7.3 2.4.18-18.7.x kernel

Amit_Bhutani@DELL.com Amit_Bhutani at DELL.com
Mon Dec 9 19:48:01 CST 2002

> Can anyone help me rebuild the BCOM_WAN_V20_SOURCE_A.tar.gz
> rpm? I am trying to get the rpm to rebuild but I am failing.
> I have a 1500sc poweredge with a Broadcom V.92 modem in it
> which works fine with the stock kernel. I can not find the
> source for the kernel module or get the source rpm to
> rebuild. I would like to use the newer kernel because of the
> security updates, but also need to get the modem working.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Isn't the BCOM_WAN_V20_SOURCE_A.tar.gz is the source for RH 7.2/7.3 stock
kernels ? Since RH 8.0 uses gcc 3.x as opposed to RH 7.2/7/3 using gcc 2.x,
you "might" have problems trying to insmod or modprobe the newly compiled
driver on 2.4.18-18.7.x  because of the "gcc2_compiled" symbol. Are you at
least getting this far or are you having problems building the driver
itself?

Amit B