PowerEdge 1650 with 220S Config advice.

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Mon Dec 9 12:01:00 CST 2002

Hi,

> > * Stripe size for RAID 5. Our environment will mostly have "small" files
>
> you could pick a middle of the road chunk size.  i think 128 is
> normally the
> biggest.  how "small" are your files  ? < 1M ?   you might want to pick
> 64 or even 32.

I too am wondering what kind of stripe size to use for small files.

In my case, nearly every file will be around 2MB. The choices I'll get out
of the RAID controller for RAID 5 are 128, 64, 32, 16 and 8 blocks (with 1
block = 512 bytes, so effectively 64, 32, 16, 8 and 4 kilobytes).

I can't seem to find any tried 'n' tested proof out on the web, with only
general guidelines that tell you to use a small stripe size if you want high
transfer rates or a large size if you want fast access times.

So, does anyone have any experience in what size gives the best performance
(i.e. the best balance between transfer rate and access time) for small
files? Does it even make any difference with file sizes like these, given
that I don't have access to large stripe sizes such as 256KB, 512KB, etc?

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com